Saturday, July 12, 2008

Restaurant Adventure! Afghan Cuisine!

I mentioned here that my kids are very adventurous eaters and that we were going to start a fun summer project where we go to an exotic restaurant once a week and experiment with a cuisine we've never tried before: Restaurant Adventure Saturday! This is the first installment.

For our first outing, we tried an Afghan (Afghani--not sure?) restaurant.
Not only have I never tried Afghan food before--I didn't even know what to expect! The kids were very excited as we entered this hole-in-the-wall decorated with posters of Afghanistan, rugs and woven tapestries. The restaurant had cool little individual "rooms" with arched doorways--but we couldn't sit there because of our extra-large group...The first thing we ordered was a kooky yogurt drink:
I don't think the kids were crazy about it--maybe it was too salty for a drink? But they tried it which I thought was great!
We ordered the "house specialty" for an appetizer--sauteed pumpkin with spices and yogurt. The kids LOVED it!
Then we got a bunch of entrees to share: various meat and chicken kabobs, braised lamb, and lots of rice with raisins and carrots.
The food was delicious and reminded me of a combo of Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines--lots of skewered meats, yogurt, spices and mint. The kids couldn't get enough of this food!
For dessert we had rice pudding and this cool-sounding ice cream:
There was no time for a pic what with the feeding frenzy--it was GOOD!
Pickle says "I love Afghanistan!!"

Stay tuned for another adventure next Saturday!

Photobucket

13 comments:

Mar said...

What a great idea! I wish my kids would eating something other than toddler fare (nuggets, cheese, yogurt, bread etc...)

I can't wait to see what other cuisines you try.

Brittany said...

We do this too! Not everyweek, we aren't as brave as you, but the current faves are Indian and Lebanese cuisine...oh and sushi since they can eat it with their hands.

I can't wait for the next installment, you are giving me inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds so great for them and you. I can't wait to see where you go next week.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time! I wish my boys were that adventurous!

Lindsay said...

You are very lucky to have kids like that (and restaurants nearby that can give your kids a culinary education)! I hope my daughter is like that. I can't wait till she tries Indian (my favorite). Afghani food looks a lot like that. Is it similar in taste?

Jennifer said...

Thanks so much Everybody, for stopping by! I'm glad you like our restaurant adventures! My kids are totally into it and can't wait to try our next destination.

Lindsay--there are similarities to Indian (which is my fave cuisine too--well that and Thai--and sushi--ok I can't decide!). The use of yogurt and mint especially, and there was a lot of lamb. The spices seemed different though and there wasn't stuff like mango which is so common in Indian cuisine. It's definitely worth a try!

Ruth said...

Fantastic idea! Of course, we'd have to live in an area with actual restuarants to make this work for us (I'm only partly kidding ... we have -- I think -- seven restaurants in town, and only two of them aren't some variant of American cuisine), but I'd love to try it.

That food looks delicious.

leezee52 said...

What a cool idea for a fun summer!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a picky eater, but if you put me next to my husband I look like a food prude. If he saw this post he would weep - and then ask for a dinner invitation!

KWolfAK said...

That looks really good! When we were in Saudi we went to a place to get REAL Arabian food and they had little rooms like that so that the women could take their face coverings off to eat. Since they are only allowed to be uncovered around family.

Jennifer said...

Oh--that's interesting Kendra! That must be why they had those little rooms--cool!

Unknown said...

What a super idea! Too bad we don't have more to choose from here. Maybe we could try it when we get home for vacation...

Anonymous said...

Ok, Pickle is too cute.

Nice to know....I want to try different kinds of foods but can't get anyone to go with me....maybe when my son gets bigger and isn't so picky I can tell him he has to go with me....worth a try!