Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Best-Laid Plans...

Isn't it funny when you think you have things planned out so nicely and then everything just blows up in your face? That's how my day went today.
See, we're going on our annual summer vacation on Friday. As you can imagine, packing for seven people is a daunting task--but the key is organization!

My plan was a good one: My cleaning lady was here today and would be doing the laundry. I was going to simply place the clean, neatly folded (I can't fold, by the way, I am incapable of folding) clothing into the suitcases and by the end of the day I would be completely packed. How organized it would all be! All the packing done and the rest of the time spent on trip-related errands--one of which was to buy these cool shoes I wanted to get in time to take on the trip.
Aren't they cute? They're Nike Vintage LDV--I love the retro look of them.

Here's how it really went down:

--Cleaning lady arrived and the laundry was started.

--About 10 minutes later, she looks worried and calls me into the laundry room.

--Washing machine has filled up with water and is making a buzzing sound but is not spinning.

--Take kids to camp.

--Return home and try pressing buttons and twisting dials on machine--no change.

--Remove huge amount of hot, soaking wet laundry from machine, thinking maybe there was a blockage--no change.

--Make hysterical phone call to husband and panic about how to get laundry done in time.

--His suggestions are worthless. ("Pack the dirty clothes and do the laundry there"!?!).

--Get out Yellow Pages and try to make a plan.

--Find a place that will wash and fold my laundry but I have to get it there RIGHT NOW in order for it to be done in time.

--Frantically shove dirty clothes (including sopping wet ones) into garbage bags.

--Make the loooong drive to the laundry place and drop off clothes.

--Looong drive back home.

--Quick shower.

--Line up washing machine repairman who agrees to come today. He will call when he's in the area.

--Pick kids up from camp.

--Drive to Urban Outfitters to get shoes--out of stock.

--Drop Teddy off at acting class.

--Try to go to Nordstrom for shoes.

--Arrive in Nordstrom parking lot--repairman calls on cell phone--he is on the way.

--Leave parking lot and head for home.

--Repairman diagnoses problem: The "pulley is sheared off and the belts aren't looking good."

--Bill--$197

--Pick up Teddy at acting class.

--Drag kids back to Nordstrom--they don't have the shoes.

--Return home. Start dinner.

--Don returns home. Put dinner on hold so I can pick up laundry.

--Long drive, blah, blah.

--Laundry bill--$85 ($85????!!!)

--Rush home, finish cooking. Feed everybody.

--No time for me to eat--Photoshop class.

--Back home now and it's late. Writing this (pretty boring--sorry!) blog.

--Too tired to think of anything better!

--Also must watch my DVRed Project Runway.

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,

In proving foresight may be vain;

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men

Gang aft agley,

An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,

For promis'd joy!

from To A Mouse by Robert Burns

That's a beautiful poem...ok, I'm totally punchy now and I'll stop!!
Photobucket

10 comments:

KWolfAK said...

Hope the vacation itself goes smoothly! Enjoy!

Ronda's Rants said...

My favorite poem by the way...your post and your life is never boring!
Enjoy your vacation and roll with the punches or is it duck...I can never remember!
Anyway, Have a good time!

Brenda said...

So, no new shoes???? After a day like that, you so deserve those cool shoes!
Oh, and I am very jealous that you have a cleaning lady!

Anonymous said...

I love those vintage Nike's...it so reminds of being a cheerleader..Love it!

Lori said...

Even when your day is chaotic, you're organized enough to list everything neatly. If I'd tried to post about a day like that it would've said, "Some STUFF happened!"

I have something for you -- stop by my blog when you get a chance.

jen721 said...

Have a great vacation. Before you go, stop by. I have something for you.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I think we are having the same luck this week!

Have a great vacation though and forget this particular day ever happened!!!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the good vacation wishes! I'll still be a-bloggin' from vacay. Wish I had the Nikes though...

Kelly said...

:( ! What a day! I'm also hoping that this is the only rough spot you'll experience this whole next week on your vacation!

Brittany said...

I would kill for a laundry service!