Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Patrick's Birthday Bash!

Patrick turned eleven today--or technically yesterday--because I write my posts the night before.

He said it was his "best birthday ever" which always warms the heart--especially because this one was pretty low-key compared to some of the over-the-top extravaganzas we've had in the past.

On Sunday night (night before his bday) we went to one of those Japanese restaurants where they cook at the table. We used to go here fairly frequently until Pickle had a major freakout when they set the shrimp on fire. She was just a little baby--but there was a fiery explosion at our table and when I faced her in another direction after she freaked, another explosion at the next table--and she couldn't recover. Don and I spent the whole dinner trading places with her in the lobby as she sobbed.

But we ventured back for Patrick's birthday dinner and she was fine. She wasn't crazy about the shrimp fire, but she kept it together.

Safe with mommy--but keeping an eye on that fire!

Pickle loves soup!
Here are the boys in the booth. Teddy was tryng to ruin the picture on purpose!
Then today I brought Dunkin Donuts over to school for Patrick's treat--that was a big hit! And after school I set up a secret surprise for him--a chocolate fountain! My sister gave it to me for Christmas but I hadn't used it yet and thought that Patrick's big day would be the perfect excuse to break it in.

Of course, things didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I read the instructions for the fountain and there were two ways of putting the chocolate in-- "warm or cold." I interpreted that as meaning either you could pre-melt it or melt it in the fountain thing. I chose the latter as I figured I could skip the melting step.

So, so wrong.

I knew something was amiss when I turned the motor on and it sounded like an old car with a bad muffler. This just couldn't be right!?!

I guess I had missed the part of the instructions that read under no circumstances use anything other than melted chocolate. Make certain there are no lumps.

No lumps? The whole thing was lumps!

So I had to spoon it all out of the fountain (fun!)--all the while getting panicky that my perfectly-timed birthday presentation was ruined and that Patrick would come home--not to a delicious treat--but to a crying mother covered in chocolate and a broken piece of machinery.

Luckily, it didn't break and I was able to get the molten brownstuff flowing freely.

Next glitch: the marshmallows.

I had JUST bought a bag of marshmallows only to find, upon opening the bag, that they had somehow melted and fused into one big horrible sticky marshmallow. I tried to salvage a few but then gave up in disgust.

Look at this mess!!
Despite my plans being foiled right and left--I managed to pull off my chocolate-covered surprise!! Here you can see the fountain in action, strawberries, pound cake, pretzels and the disgusting marshmallows. Also, that balloon in the pic sings Happy Birthday every time it is jostled. I told Patrick that if he hears screaming later followed by a loud pop--it's me stabbing the balloon with a knife!

Anyway, he LOVED his surprise! Here's Patrick with Andy (that chocolate may NEVER come out of his braces!).
Close-up of the fountain!
Dr. Hoppy with the fountain:
Chocolate-covered Pickle!
Then he opened his presents and loved every one. One of his very favorites was seeds to grow the World's Hottest Chili Pepper--apparently they are "a million times hotter than a jalapeno." Yikes! Then we had pizza.

Happy Birthday Patrick!!
Oh, the Barney hats were from a long ago party--the kids thought they were funny!
Photobucket

38 comments:

Susie said...

Wow!! That is a great birthday! Way to go Mom:-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Patrick!

Mmmmm....giant marshmallow....

Jen said...

What a great birthday! Glad Patrick had such a great time!

Ronda's Rants said...

OHHHHH.Can I borrow the fountain for my son's engagement party? I was thinking of doing this...but I was going to just rent it...but if it's difficult maybe I shouldn't! I can not be crying at my son's engagement party...that would look really bad!
Happy Birthday Patrick!

Glenda, saved by grace said...

How funnn... Happy birthday Patrick!
Love your pics!

Kori said...

Awesome birthday.

Jacob wants to go to Stix for his birthday at the end of December. It's one of those places where they cook in front of you to. Japanese.

What is with boys and the cooking?

Linda S said...

Happy Birthday! Awesome fountain! looks like a great time...

Jenni said...

Happy Birthday, Patrick!

You are a SUCH a fun mom! I love the chocolate fountain idea!

Sandi said...

Happy Birthday Patrick! Your Mom rocks, I hope you know that!

Heather said...

It looks like SUCH a fun birthday!!

Andrea said...

you're the best mom ever! happy birthday patrick!

Anonymous said...

What a great surprise! I wish I came home to a chocolate fountain... :)

Happy Birthday, Patrick!

Jo-Jo said...

Happy Patrick! That sounded like a very special birthday!

tiarastantrums said...

looks like an AWESOME party!!

Allison said...

I've always wanted to try one of those chocolate fountains...if I do, I'll remember to read the directions very carefully! LOL, glad it all turned out to be a fun evening for the kids!

Lori said...

What fun!! I love Patrick's smile. Happy Birthday dude!

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Nice! Amazing how the low-key b-days always go over the best huh? If someone showed up with a chocolate fountain for my birthday, i'd be a happy camper, too!

Ashley said...

Yum! I bet he just loved that chocolate surprise!! Happy Birthday Patrick!!

Jessica said...

Looks/sounds like a blast! A chocolate fountain! So cool. :)

Sera said...

That sounds like such a wonderful birthday! And hey, even if the machine HAD broken - look at the bright side - you'd have been covered in chocolate and could have indulged and drowned your sorrows right then and there, without an emergency trip to the corner store for a chocolate bar - it all would have been right there!

P.S. That was so mean to show a picture of the fountain with a strawberry in it. I want a chocolate fountain. Now. And I don't have one.

Becky said...

I'm so glad that Mr. Hoppy got to join in the fun...LOL you are too funny!
I have been eyeing those chocolate fountains, and I think you just made up my mind. Too cool:)

Happy Birthday Patrick!

Jen said...

that does look like the best birthday! I love the fountain, yum. And isn't it always something?

SuZ said...

Yay for birthdays!!! I love the chocolate fountain...

Jen said...

I left a patch for you over on my blog - check it out! Happy Tuesday!

Grand Pooba said...

Chocolate, marshmellows, cake.....sounds like my kind a party!

Wow, your chocolate fountain turned out great! I got one for christmas a while back and I've never been able to get the chocolate flowing like that! No matter how much oil I added!

You've got to tell me your secret!

Jennifer said...

What a cool birthday! Happy Birthday Patrick!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Patrick! November birthdays are the BEST!

Looks like you guys had an awesome time. I'm so envious of the chocolate fountain! I'm tempted to go out and get one.

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

Hey Jennifer, I tagged you for the same tag that Jen B. did. I thought it would be a good way to get to know ya. Jen got to you before I did.I saw your comment on my blog this morning. Thanks for the sweet comment. Have fun!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I am so moving in next to you.
That is an awesome party! The chocolate fountain is drool-inspiring.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh I love this!!
Flashback to when my 6 1/2 yr old was 3, took him to a Japanease steakhouse, he freaked with the fire, and we've never been able to get him back there!!
Perfect boy party, working machinery!!

CaraBee said...

Will you be my mommy? Your kids are soo lucky!

Anonymous said...

What a nice bday celebration Jennifer! He looks soooo happy...as do all your kids (and you too!) :)

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

Hi Jennifer. Second hit today. I have been awarded a blog award and wanted to give you one to show you I truely enjoy your blog. You can go to my blog for details of the blog award. Cheers

Anonymous said...

That fountain looks DELICIOUS!!!!

Looks like a great party....I think even the bunny wanted the chocolate.

Happy late birthday to Patrick!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG Happy Birthday, you are such a good mom. Okay I just bought a pack of marshmallows and they were the same, I was so mad and they had not melted in my car. I bet a truck broke down in the heat somewhere.

What is the wheel in the background? Is it painted on the wall?

Jennifer said...

Cathy--that's from an old wheel of fortune from a carnival.

Shannon said...

I'm so late in wishing Patrick a happy birthday! Shame on me...

Yay that he had such a great time :)

mrsmouthy said...

Will you plan my next birthday party? Great thanks!