Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Down Side Of Being Organized?

Do you think there is such a thing as being too organized and overly prepared?

I have been making an extra effort lately to get things in my house organized. I'm cleaning, giving thing away, throwing things away and so far I'm very pleased! The kids' closets are tidy and I can find their clothes with ease. My refrigerator is sparkling and well-stocked. Even the toys have been sorted with the Legos and Tinker Toys in their proper containers.

A couple of weeks ago it was time to do the online sign-up for the kids' parent/teacher conferences. I logged on bright and early and was able to secure a good conference time, with each meeting perfectly timed so there was no down time in between. I would be like a well-oiled machine moving from teacher to teacher and Don would be home in time so I wouldn't have to worry about babysitters--I thought, "How nice it is to be so organized!"

Fast forward to last night--conference night. Don was home, but shuttling Patrick over to a sleepover and I was preparing to leave the second he came back. I knew I had printed out the conference schedule with the times, teachers and room numbers--which was pretty complicated because I would be meeting with all of Teddy's teachers separately--there were probably over ten meetings in all!

I started looking through my giant pile of papers (I haven't organized this yet) but I couldn't find the schedule. Meanwhile, Don would be home any minute and I would have to leave immediately to get there on time.

I went through the paper pile again...and again--starting to get panicky. After a few searches through the pile, I gave up and tried to get back into the conference maker through the computer--but that wouldn't work.

Then I frantically started searching through my old emails to see if the schedule was on there. I was so frazzled, I couldn't remember the date I had scheduled the conferences and couldn't find the email.

I could hear Don at the door and knew I HAD to leave--I was almost in tears. Then I turned around and noticed that I had neatly tacked the schedule to my bulletin board.

In my eagerness to be organized, I actually ended up being disorganized! If that schedule had been in my giant pile of papers, I would have found it in two seconds!

I know it's better to be organized--but I guess I had a certain method to my madness that was actually working for me! So maybe I should just keep my giant pile of papers? It's ugly and messy-looking--but I know where everything is!!
Photobucket

22 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

What may seem like chaos to some is actually a organized mess to me. I am referring to my desk...as I was reading your post My Hubby came in and asked for a contract and I said "It's in those stacks of papres there"... God help us if I clean up!!!
Have a great day!!!
PS I would like a clean desk though...it feels nice when it isn't cluttered

Susie said...

That's my husband's theory of organization. "If it were in the pile, I would have found it." If I had a nickle for everytime I heard that...

Shannon said...

Shane would say I need to get myself better organized. I don't have a system... I Just stash things everywhere. And I mean every. where. There's no telling what you might find in the drawers of my dresser or the hutch in the dining room... on top of the fridge... in the hall closet. And then if I need something, it takes me a minute to think about where I may have put it!!!

Allison said...

That is the story of my life! I have a huge pile of papers on the top of our computer scanner. And I can usually tell you what is on the top and bottom of the pile!

Jen said...

I totally agree there is a thing a being too organized. It can be very stressful.

Sandi said...

Do you think you are pregnant? Where did this organization bug come from? Cleaning out closets?

I wonder if you are nesting again. I hope so!

steenky bee said...

Sometimes you have to make an omlette out of cracked eggs. No, sometimes you have to cook that omlette with those eggs. No, I think you might have to break a few eggs to make an omlette. This is exactly why I live in constant disorganization.

Ashley said...

Yes, everytime I put something in a 'safe place' I never find it!

Jennifer said...

So glad you found that schedule, 'cause what a nightmare that would have been, eh?

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jen! =)

Jo-Jo said...

That sort of thing happens to me ALL the time! So how did the conferences go?

Annikke said...

I have SO done that one! "where is it? where is it? OHHH, it is somewhere logical. Who would've thought that?" LOL

Jane In The Jungle said...

Girl I am so unorganized I'm organized!! It may take a minute, but I know which basket I put it in. Then it's just flipping, pulling, pushing to the bottom! And I mean I have baskets (full) everywhere! I need to find a way to put lids on them and then I'll look organized!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...I can so relate to that....if I clean then I don't know where anything is.

My trouble is I have too many messy piles....if I just had 1 messy pile....that would be organized and clean to me. ;)

Mimi said...

OMG, how did you get into my house & see how I live?

I too have foiled myself when I have attempted organization!

Jenni said...

I NEED my piles...it is organized chaos but it is what works for me!

Coco said...

I can relate to this all too well, though mine are on a more regular basis and include mandatory baby products (wipes, nasal aspirator, paci, blankie)

Rhea said...

Giant piles of paper are handy sometimes. I have a few of those piles...

Becky said...

That's funny! You gotta find a system that works for you!

Dee said...

I am like you, everything has a pile, and a pile for everything

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

I love the organization. I have been organizing for weeks now for the coming of our new baby. I want to be organized. But sometimes trying to look for things in the chaos is easy too. I know what you mean. chaoticly organized? Have a good Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

This has happened to me so many times. If it's not in my giant, disorganized pile, I can't find it, sad but true!

Temple said...

I have to admit it...I am one of those super-organized, "go through your closet every season" and "alphabetized CD collection" kind of girls. But it makes me happy, less schizo about things (which is always a plus) and usually only 10 minutes late :) I stick all important schedules/lists/80% off Xmas specials in my purse so they are always in the car with me when I suddenly realize I meant to grab them