Monday, August 18, 2008

Bizarro Grocery Store

Some of you might remember this post where I wrote about a strange run-in my husband had at the grocery store. Long story, weird: A woman was crying outside the store because she wanted to "sell her action figure" and someone had promised to buy it but never came back. He took pity on her and bought it for $2.

So I was doing the shopping today and went through the basic pleasantries with the checkout lady--"Paper or plastic?", etc. and suddenly the bag lady says, apropos of nothing, "I have a Hot Wheels car."

I nodded and said something like "Oh!" with feigned enthusiasm, but I was thinking What the...?? Then I remembered the action figure incident. This must be the same person!

So she goes on to say "I'm selling it." Now if Don hadn't clued me in on the previous run-in, I would have been in the dark, but I decided to play along. "Oh really?" I say.

Now, suddenly, the check-out lady gets all crazy-like and starts glaring at the bag girl and muttering stuff at her--like warning her to stop. But the insane bag girl continues. "I'm trying to sell all my toys that I've already played with." she tells me.

Now the check-out lady walks out from behind her counter and over to the bag girl. She's all up in her face and is sort of hiss-whispering stuff like "Stop it!" "No!" This was crazy!!

She goes back to her post, but the bag freak is unstoppable! "So I'm selling it for a dollar," she continues. The check-out lady looks furious and is rolling her eyes. I wasn't sure what to do, so I go "OK, I'll buy it." The bag girl is thrilled. Check-out Lady glared at me.

She continued to bag and when she was done and I was waiting for my receipt she kind of secretly showed me her hand with the car peeking out of her fist. "Here's the little guy," she said.

Now I really didn't know what to do. I told her I would buy it but I felt really creepy about continuing the bizarre little transaction right there in the check-out aisle. I was afraid people would think I was doing a drug deal! I had visions of trying to explain myself to the police. "You see officer, I was just buying a Hot Wheels car from this crazy bag person. My husband bought an action figure from her last week!"

"Right, lady. Tell it to the judge."

So I mumbled something like "I'll just step over there," and I walked over to the florist area to wait. I fumbled though my wallet and got the dollar out, but the nutcase didn't come over! This is ridiculous, I thought, I don't even want the stupid car! I was just trying to be nice...

So I left, thinking that maybe she'd come out to the parking lot while I was loading the bags into the car--but she didn't.

When I got home, I told Don and he said "I'm sure she's outside the store crying right now."

So now I feel kind of guilty--but the whole thing gave me the creeps!

I was thinking that our Restaurant Adventures are going to have to end soon since the kids will be going back to school, so maybe my new Saturday blog should be "What Toy is the Insane Bag Lady Selling Today?"

What do you think!?
Photobucket

21 comments:

Dee said...

Love the idea of your new blog post! so is the bag lady old or young?... just curious. Can't say I've ever had an experience like that at the shops, closest was the check out boy who would not stop talking about "stuff", (including a comment about me being a blonde who dyes my hair (Im not) because I tried to humour one of his dumb remarks.) and who was distracting me from checking to see if the scanner was rippping me off.

Dee said...

just read the other post - shes not crazy at all,- tried to sell to you for $1, you disappear, she cries out front, good samaratin comes along, must be worth more than $1, so she makes a killing by upping the price to $2

Ronda's Rants said...

I am betting she is challenged in some way and the grocery store is trying to give her a job...it's actually kind of sad to me! I don't know what I would have done, really. But, I am going to miss the food blogs...it is just the best post out there, you're the only one that my Hubby will ask about...So, where did they eat today? :)

Amy said...

Okay, thats odd. I think Ronda is right though, she must have some sort of challenge. Do you think? You know her. I'm thinking next week maybe a smurf. :)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I wonder if the grocery store managers know she's doing this? I feel sorry for her, but I'm pretty sure management wouldn't like her doing that.

KWolfAK said...

LOVE IT!!

Jennifer said...

She's a youngish woman--maybe about 20? I'm guessing she probably is challenged in some way--but she's very well-spoken. I don't know what her deal is except that she's obsessed w/ selling toys on the "down low."

Ronda--it's cute that your hubby asks about the restaurants! I guess I'll have to make those a "special feature"--we just won't have time to go when school starts.

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I want me some soap - after the week I have had I need to relax!!!

Lori said...

I double-triple-dog-dare you to take one of your kids' toys to the store with you next time, and when she tries to sell you something offer to trade instead.

Jo-Jo said...

That is definitely weird...I agree with the others she must be challenged in some way. Kinda sad but I am still intrigued!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. Rhonda is probably right about her though.

Kori said...

I liked how you talked about having to explain it to the judge-but like Ronda, it also makes me sad. Though of course it IS probably inappropriate, it still makes me sad. Sounds like something out of a funny movie, though, too.

Shannon said...

Weird! Its funny (but not in a mean way)... and it makes you wonder what she'll have next!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I guess it does sound sad--but that bag girl seemd very happy (well except for when she's crying!) so I think she's ok! I will do a little detective work and see if can get to the bottom of her toy-selling. I'll report back!

CaraBee said...

That is very strange. I never know what to do in those sorts of situations. Heck, I get all awkward when they ask me to donate a $1 for the charity du jour, I'm definitely out of my element with a challenged bag girl.

Anonymous said...

This is the weirdest story ever. But made me laugh hysterically. How crazy and mysterious, OMG I can't even imagine this happening. Please go back soon.
Half of the thrill must be doing the transaction in front of everyone so I guess she didn't want to go over there! Ha!

Teresa said...

I was going to say maybe start shopping somewhere else, but everyone seems to think you should get to the bottom of it. Ok, I think that too :)

Did you ever figure out what the action figure was? That was one of my 'lost' posts.....I think it's Jabba the Hut's dancing girl. I'm right and I'm the biggest nerd ever, or I'm wrong and I'm still the biggest nerd ever for even knowing that.

Jennifer said...

I'm still not totally sure what that action figure is--but someone else thought it was a Star Wars character too.

Teresa--if it is Jabba's dancing girl I think that does give you nerd status. LOL!

Kelly said...

So, so funny!! I love your new idea!!

SGM said...

I agree with Dee--quite a scam she's got going on there!

I think she might get fired. I have a feeling that store managers don't like baggers actively selling their own crap on the side. Keep us posted.

Ann Harrison said...

This is such a Twilight Zone.
Perhaps a "Groundhogs Day" scenario.
You didn't buy the car, she goes to cry outside the store, your husband finds her and buys the toy.
Next day: you didn't buy the car, etc.
CREEPY!