Saturday, August 30, 2008

Indian Cuisine: Restaurant Adventure Saturday

As I've said before, Indian food isn't exactly an adventure for us. Basically, I'm addicted to it! I've even taken an Indian cooking class and I can whip up some of the delicacies myself--include my own spice blends! I can make garam masala! And ghee! But I'm running out of restaurant adventure ideas plus I needed an Indian food fix--so off we went! But first, a couple of interesting tidbits:

**Interesting run-in I 've had with Indian food #1: I ate a huge Indian dinner when I was in labor with Pickle. It was a Sunday and I had been feeling pains all day long but I wasn't sure if it was bad enough to go to the hospital. I had the brilliant idea to go out for Indian food because I had read that the spices could help labor kick in.

Don timed the contractions all through the dinner--they were five minutes apart. By the time we left the restaurant we decided I had better get to the hospital. Right as we got to the car I could feel my body "rejecting" the crazy heavy meal I had just eaten and I literally "lost my lunch." Yeah, I was definitely in labor! Words of wisdom: Don't eat a giant Indian meal when you think you're in labor. It won't end well!

**Interesting Indian food run-in #2: I used to go to a great place in NYC called Nirvana--a tiny restaurant with probably the best Indian food I've ever tasted. It was at the top floor of a building that overlooked Central Park and had breathtaking views.

One night I was eating there with my mom and siter and Sylvester Stallone was sitting at the very next table with two blonde bimbos. I was so excited because I was (and still am) a HUGE Rocky fan. So technically, I've had Indian food with Rocky! Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, I've also been to a movie with Ah-nold Schwarzenegger (and Maria Shriver). Well, I sat behind them at a movie, but still...

Am I ever going to get to the adventure? Finally!

To mix things up a little, we went to an Indian restaurant we'd never been to before--it had received excellent reviews.

It was a tiny hole-in-the-wall-type place and we were the only ones there. The waiter was semi-unpleasant--I don't think he liked the idea of me and my pack of rug rats in there!

Pickle started out in a relivately good mood...
Photobucket
...but she descended into fussiness (much to the waiter's dismay) soon after.

I did everything in my power to keep her happy. She smelled the flowers about a million times.
Photobucket
She kissed her cat.
Photobucket
And I plied her with mango lassis (one of my favorite things--mango and yogurt drinks. I'm addicted).
Photobucket
But nothing worked. She was not a happy camper.

We tried to enjoy the food anyway. Teddy wanted soup--chicken mulligatawny. I didn't try it but he said it was delicious. He also had a spicy masala tea--which I think is basically chai tea.
Photobucket
For an appetizer we had the amazing vegetable samosas. Delicious pastry filled with potatoes, peas and other veggies. This is one of my favorite things and also one of the recipes I can make!
Photobucket
Their chicken tandoori was fantastic!! Some of the best I've ever had. This chicken is marinated in yogurt, coated with spices and cooked in a tandoor. If you've never tried it--please do so soon! It's really delicious!
Photobucket
The tandoori was Pickle's favorite dish!
Photobucket
We had another favorite--a crispy flavorful bread called poppadum. (That's Pickle's "cell phone" next to the bread).
Photobucket
We had a tasty dish called lamb biryani--it has chunks of lamb, rice , spices and vegetables.
Photobucket
And because Pickle loves rice so much--another rice dish with peas:
Photobucket
Here's a tasty yogurt sauce that we put on everything!
Photobucket
All the while I was eating (or attempting to), I was trying to keep Pickle calm. She was on the verge of hysteria the whole meal!

I tried to amuse her with her cat (meow-meow). The cat was in the flowers.
Photobucket
And on the chicken.
Photobucket
But nothing worked--we had to get out of there STAT. I didn't even get pics of some of the food--sorry!

We didn't get to have dessert (unfortunately)--there were some really cool-sounding desserts that I'd love to go back and try--maybe sans Pickle! Instead, we went to a Pinkberry rip-off which we call Fakeberry. Pinkberry is one of my very favorite places (it's Asian-style fro-yo) but, alas, they don't have them in my neck of the woods so we are stuck with Fakeberry.
Photobucket
But it's better than nothing.
Photobucket
Poor Pickle cried the whole way home.

Pickle says:
Photobucket
"Dude, I thought I made it clear in utero: Lay off the vindaloo!"
Photobucket

11 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh I LOVE indian food! Even my boys will eat it...ok just the naan and mango lassis...but still!

Ronda's Rants said...

OHHHHHH the picture of Pickle crying has broke my heart! I hope she isn't getting sick! Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Gawd you make me want to go on an adventure! I love it, you make it sound so good!

leezee52 said...

I just love Pickle's pearls!
Have a great week-end!

Lee :)

Kelly said...

Poor Pickle!!! You're last comment cracked me up!
I've never, ever, ever have had Indian food so this was very interesting for me...There were actually dishes I think I would eat; though I probably should bring someone who has had it before so they can advise me!

Lori said...

AHHAHA, your closing line cracked me up! :D

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I love that little face and those big blue eyes. She is so sweet! The food looked so good. Looks like everyone had a great time. I've never had indian food is it spicy like they say. Much Love from Queen Bee!

Shannon said...

Another great adventure. The vegetable samosas sound really good... I've never had Indian food.

Your caption for that last photo is laugh-out-loud funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Pickle's last line.....to funny. Poor lil Pickle!!!

I too LOVE Indian food. I spent a couple of months working in London a few years ago and that is when I discovered Indian food. I think I ate it almost every day....I hate the English food. Yuck. Spotted dick? No thank you! But Indian food rocks!!!! I couldn't have it when I was pregnant....that or Chinese......my ankles would have been as big as my thighs...and that ain't pretty!

My favorite Indian dish is Chicken Tikka Masala.

CaraBee said...

My best friend is Indian, so I've been eating GOOD Indian food courtesy of her mama for 20 years. I absolutely love it. I had Indian for lunch the day I went into labor with my daughter, luckily it stayed with me. Pickle has the bluest eyes!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Poor Pickle, she just looks worn out! She reminds me a LOT of my Ladybug at that age, I'll have to dig up some pictures to show you.