Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Let's "Throwdown" Some Sundaes!

Don and I were watching "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay last night (well, I was watching, he was playing chess with the computer). You know, that show where Chef Bobby challenges someone to a cook-off? Anyway, the theme of the show was the "Ultimate Ice Cream Sundae." I was excited and rattled off my ultimate sundae to Don (he wasn't really listening but I told him anyway).

First, I decided that you have to use vanilla ice cream--any other flavors might contaminate and/or compete with the flavors of the toppings. Then, marshmallow sauce--that's a must! Butterscotch syrup, really good, dark hot fudge, salty peanuts (chopped up, not whole) and whipped cream.

So Bobby Flay starts his creation and the first thing he says is that you have to use vanilla ice cream as a base.

Me: "Don. Don! Bobby Flay said the same thing I did about the vanilla ice cream!"

Don: " That's great."

Then Bobby Flay started making homemade marshmallow sauce.

Me: "DON! He's making marshmallow sauce--I said marshmallow for my sundae."

Don: "Wow."

Then Bobby made butterscotch from scratch (mmmm!) and hot fudge.

Me: "OMG! He's totally making my sundae! Don!? Did you hear me? He's "throwing down" my exact sundae!!"

Don: "Uhhhh."

Computer: "Checkmate."

Then Bobby added some cherry sauce which threw the whole thing off. Really, Bobby? Cherry sauce? I mean, I think the chocolate/cherry combination would be great, but I don't know about cherry/butterscotch?? But then he added peanuts and whipped cream--so it was almost my perfect sundae!

And he won the Throwdown with no problem. His competitor made a sundae with apples. Apples? I'm sure it was good, but come on! Apples are no match for chocolate and marshmallow.

I've been REALLY good on my diet lately and there will be no sundaes in my immediate future--but I've got sundaes on my mind. I want to hear what you think--describe your perfect sundae!

Oh, and my second favorite sundae would be mint-chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream.

Also, Ronda from Ronda's Rants blogged about a great "pay it back" idea yesterday--so three random people who comment (I'll pick names out of a hat) will get something special from me. Great idea, Ronda!!
Photobucket

18 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

I wished I could take credit but I think it started with Elizabeth from Thoughts from an Evil Overlord (who is not evil at all.)
Anywho,
my favorite sundae:
Yes, start with Vanilla icecream, huge amounts of M&M's, slivered almonds and whipped cream. It may sound boring to some but I LOVE it!!! Have a good day...we are headed for stormy weathers!

Dee said...

Your favorite sounds like heaven!
I dont think I could improve on that one. Except add macadamia nuts.

Kori said...

Peanut Butter Icecream with hot fudge, marshmellow cream, whipped cream and of course a cherry on top. Mmmm so yummy.

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

I luv me some sundaes!

Lori said...

I think my 8yo summed up the perfect sundae when we went to Dairy Queen the other day. "I'd like some chocolate syrup with a little bit of ice cream, please."

Jo-Jo said...

I think your sundae sounds almost perfect but pecans instead of peanuts and a cherry on top! Yummy!

Kori said...

I haven't had a sundae in so long that I would not even have an idea. I think we are talking like 10 years or something. Which is really depressing, come to think of it.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Jennifer, your perfect sundae sounds perfect to me...except no nuts! I love caramel/chocolate or butterscotch/chocolate combos...pretty much anything and chocolate....yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love watching Bobby 'throwdown'. :)

My throwdown sundae...

Vanilla ice cream/pineapple preserves or sauce/caramel/great big handful of finely chopped pecans and macadamias, topped with whipped cream and a cherry...yummm. :)

Anonymous said...

mmm ... right now any sundae sounds great! lol. Also, I love the pay it back idea!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Everybody's ideas sound AH-mazing! I think I'd stick with the vanilla ice cream (not french vanilla or vanilla bean- something weird about me!). I'd use this awesome hot fudgy-like sauce we make at our house, marshmallow sauce (good call on that one!), M&M's, and a cherry on top! :)

Jennifer said...

OK--now I'm starving!! I love the idea of pineapple preserves. Oh--I want it!!

pam said...

I love sundaes....Dairy Queen, homemade, it really doesn't matter. But hot fudge sauce and whipped cream are musts. I love Ronda's idea to pay it forward. What a way to make someone's day.

Anonymous said...

Apples? Are you kidding...I can't even believe it. No wonder they lost, and I'll admit cherry with butterscotch is odd too!

Kelly said...

I've never seen Bobby win one of those throw downs...
My favorite sundae: Coffee ice cream with heath bar pieces, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a cherry on top

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on this one... no cherry sauce on a sundae with chocolate and caramel on it! Ewwww! You'd win the throwdown if I was the judge :) lol

Not Just Any Jen said...

What a coincidence. Or maybe you just know Sundaes.

Okay, I am not really a sundae person, but I love chocolate chip ice cream.
Jen

Shannon said...

Apples on a sundae? That's just crazy!

My favorite sundae would be pretty simple... just vanilla ice cream, lots of warm caramel sauce and peanuts. MMMmmmmm!