Monday, August 4, 2008

Killer Baboons: Trip to the Zoo

We're home safe and sound! What an amazing trip we had. With the exception of Hazel's escape, it was non-stop fun!

There are a few things we did on the trip that I haven't blogged about yet--so here goes...

One of our Summer Vacation Traditions is a trip to the local zoo. This zoo is perfect because it's very small so you can see all the animals without getting totally bored. It's also slightly grungy, which I like in a zoo. There is very little in the way of barricades and/or fencing--the animals are pretty much right up in your face and they all seem slightly crazy--like they're looking for trouble. There are all kinds of signs telling you not to touch the animals because they will bite--but you could touch some of them if you wanted to--they're that close. So there's an element of danger which definitely perks up what could otherwise be a tedious schlep through the zoo. The closness of the animals also makes for great picture taking.

Pickle not only got her goat fix--she got to feed them too! Here she is surrounded by a starving pack of goats.
Photobucket
Here's Gooser posing by a mural. An elk? A caribou? I don't know... He looks nervous, like he thinks it might pounce!

Photobucket
This is a rhea. They have pretty eyes don't they? I was bitten by one of these at a petting zoo once. It was at the height of the Bird Flu panic--I had "symptoms" for weeks! This one looks like he wants a piece of me too! Photobucket
"Look into my devil eyes..."

It's also a tradition that I get a pic called "Killer Ostrich." I have a whole collection of scary ostrich pics. This one isn't my best work, but it's not bad.
Photobucket
Look at how close I could get to this tiger!
Photobucket
He was swimming in this pic, but shortly after, he started pacing--which didn't bode well for us:
Photobucket
As soon as the kids read the sign they were like "I want to see him spray urine!" What is it with boys and urine?

Again--look how close we are to this bear:
Photobucket
The bear area is enclosed in some kind of (hopefully super-strong!) plastic--you could literally stare right into their eyes!

I saved the best for last! I'm very proud of this baboon pic--although Don is repulsed by it.
Photobucket
Get this guy to a monkey dentist! And, I'm no monkey doctor, but doesn't it look like s/he has a mean case of thrush?

I have a strange history with baboons--last year when we were visiting this zoo, I "walked in" on a baboon who was, um, having some special time with himself. It was awkward for me--but he didn't seem to mind! I'm ashamed to say that I also have a pic of that incident! Maybe I'll reveal it at an upcoming Friday Foto Fiesta?

OK, one more pic--group shot right after leaving the zoo.
Photobucket
Oh, and that thing Pickle is holding--it's a big frog, but she insists on calling it a monkey. When we say "It's a frog." She says "No. Monkey." Between frogs and those killer/perverted baboons--this girl is going to have some skewed views on monkeys (or apes or whatever...)!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

That was fun...my two favorite things are ...a trip to the zoo and I love, love a parade!

Lori said...

Baby Tad! Baby Tad makes such a cute monkey.

Awesome pictures. And I must say, your family are some snazzy dressers.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you are so right...those are some scary, crazy zoo pics! Those animals are seriously RIGHT there, which after the whole SF Zoo-tiger thing just scares me....OMG that monkey mouth...hilarious.

leezee52 said...

Ahhh the zoo...sooo much fun!

leezee52 said...

Hi again,
Thanks for wishing me a Happy Birthday!

Lee :)

Kelly said...

I don't know how comfortable I'd be at that zoo...I was doing okay until we got to the tiger, bear, and baboon pics...those animals could seriously do harm. You and your family are so much braver and adventurious than me!!
It looks like everyone had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Wow...those pics are amazing. That tiger is BEAUTIFUL!

I love going to the zoo....you never know what you are going to see.

I personally like the monkey pic too!

Why aren't you in any of these pictures??? (not that I think you should be in the zoo pics..that is not what I meant...but I meant family pics in general) Whew!

Jennifer said...

Karla--I'm the photograher in my family and when I let someone take my pic I'm usually so self conscious that I don't want to show it! OK--maybe I'll show one tomorrow--just for you!

Forgetfulone said...

Amazing photos! I love the one of the tiger. And the sign about the tigers pacing and spraying cracked me up!