Sunday, August 10, 2008

SITS Recipe Contest!

I'm entering the SITS Best Recipe Contest! Here's my entry:

This is one that's been handed down from my mother-in-law who got it from her mother's neighbor--or something like that! In other words, it's been many. many years in the making. I have tweaked it myself over the years to the point of perfection!

This is not a fancy recipe, but good old-fashioned comfort food. This is what I make for the friend who just had a baby, or a sick neighbor, or for my husband if he's had a hard day at work.

It's easy and simple, but delicious and comforting.

So, without further ado, I give you:

"Miss Taylor's Casserole"

One pound ground beef
One package egg noodles (or you can use the "No Yolks" kind)
2 cans Campball's Tomato soup
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped celery
Large package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Pam cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.

Boil noodles according to package directions--I usually keep them slightly al dente.

Meanwhile, saute onions and celery in large skillet (sprayed with Pam) for about 5 minutes.

Add ground beef to skillet and brown. Drain any grease.

Add tomato soup and sauce--simmer for about 10 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Prepare large glass baking dish by spraying with Pam.

Drain noodles and layer half of them in dish. Layer half of the beef/tomato mixture then a nice layer of shredded cheese. Repeat the layering. Make sure there's lots of cheese on top!

Bake for one hour.

I like to serve this dish with peas!

Thank you for the contest!!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love contests I must check it out!

Kori said...

Ok, do people really EAT this? No offense, but eeew...but then. the whole idea of cooking with tomato soup has never occurred nor appealed to me. Do you have testimonials from other people? just teasing-and good luck on the contest!

Jennifer said...

LOL KOri--I DO have testimonials from other people! In fact, some have become addicted to this recipe! Try it--I dare you!!

CaraBee said...

This sounds yummy! I'll definitely give it a go. I'm all for easy and tasty!

Shannon said...

I am hoping to try this recipe in the next week... it sounds yummy!

I've entered the contest, too... just 4 more days until we find out who the finalists are! :)