Thursday, August 7, 2008

Desperate Craving

You know those cravings that just take hold of you and won't let go?

This afternoon I took the kids out for our restaurant adventure (I'll post about it on Saturday). It was WILD!! Anyway, I wasn't the least bit hungry at dinner time, so I passed on it. But then later...it hit me. I HAD to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I had to have it NOW. (I swear I'm not pregnant.)

I searched around in our way too big and way too disorganized pantry. No sign of peanut butter. Side note: one of my kids has food allergies, so we rarely have peanut products around--but I do keep a jar of peanut butter on a high shelf for "emergencies" just like this.

I couldn't find it in its usual spot, but then I noticed the jar in a strange higher location. Then I couldn't find any jelly. I searched high and low--we didn't have any.

By now, my craving was out of control. There was no way I could continue with my evening until I had this sandwich. So I drove to 7-11 and bought the last jar of strawberry jam (if I wasn't so sure I'm not pregnant I would have bought a pregnancy test too!).

I got home and started assembling the sandwich. But the peanut butter looked weird--really oily--and smelled even weirder. It was totally rancid. It had probably been sitting on the shelf for years. Nooooooo!

I drove back to 7-11 (is that normal?) to get peanut butter. I scanned the little condiment section. Maple syrup--check. Honey--plenty. Mayonnaise--lots. But there was NO PEANUT BUTTER!! How can that be? Wouldn't that be, like, one of the main staples of a convenience store?

I asked the guy behind the counter, who seemed to have no clue what peanut butter was. It was like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. I half-expected Rod Serling to step out from behind the potato chip rack rack with his cigarette and say: "Submitted for your approval: Hungry woman in desperate need of peanut butter. But she won't find any peanut butter here...In the Twilight Zone."

"Peanut butter," I pleaded to the guy behind the counter. He seemed to have a glimmer of recognition. Oh thank God. He walked from around the counter and led my toward the back of the store. Toward the refrigerated section? They keep their peanut butter in the refrigerator?

Einstein pointed out the Land 'O Lakes. "Nooo," I begged. "Peanut butter. Like for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich." The guy had No. Clue. Is it possible that some people don't know about peanut butter? Apparently.

I was just about to give up, when I spotted a lone jar of Jif Extra Crunchy on some random shelf. I'm a creamy type--but beggars can't be choosers. I held the jar up triumphantly. "Peanut butter!!" I shouted to the counter guy. He looked at me like I was crazy.

So I got my sandwich and I'm feelin' fine. Though I'm not clear why anyone would choose crunchy over creamy.

I want lots o' comments today--how do you like your PB? With jelly? What kind? With bacon? (I do!) With pickles? (my mom does!). Anyone out there a fan of the extra crunchy? I'm peanut butter-obsessed today!
Photobucket

20 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

Okay...I have been craving peanut butter and not jelly! I like mine on whole wheat bread toasted, then spread the peanut butter and then... apple sauce. I am most assuredly not pregant! This has been for the last few days...my lunch!
Weird huh? Something in the weather maybe?

Lori said...

Girly girl, you are one determined mama. It's possible that I might have gone out for the first trip to the store, but twice -- NEVER gonna happen. I only quit smoking because I was too lazy to go get more cigarettes.

Unknown said...

We go through the industrial size can of PB in our house rather quickly...Has to be JIF, has to be with strawberry jam!

amelia bedelia said...

my hubby lived off peanut butter sandwiches when he was in college. One day i went to his apt to clean it as a surprise, and in his sink was every utensil (fork, knife, spoon..) he owned was in his sink with peanut on it. gag.

I love peanut butter with honey!!

Jennifer said...

Wow--lots of good ideas to try! I'm loving the applesauce and honey ideas! And, Therese--Jif w/ strawberry is my fave too.

I just thought of another combo I love--the Elvis--pb and banana. That's a classic!

Insane Mama said...

I hate it when yo have a craving and YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT! It's kinda fun in a weird way except when you can' find what you are loking for.

manda said...

Honey Nut peanut butter with Apricot Pineapple jelly. I am pregnant and this, with a glass of milk is my afternoon snack. So delicious!

Shannon said...

My husband thinks I'm weird for putting PB on toast.

We love PB at this house... on bread (with or w/out jelly), toast, apples, Ritz crackers, graham crackers...

now I'm craving peanut butter!

Jennifer said...

Hold the phone! Honey nut peanut butter? I didn't even know this existed? And Pineapple-apricot jam? I MUST try those!

I love pb on a Ritz too!

We're forgetting another classic--pb and the marshmallow fluff stuff!

Kelly said...

"Anyway, I wasn't the least bit hungry at dinner time, so I passed on it." Do you have a language translator...because I'm not understanding this statement...

My dear Jennifer, your last comment gave my all time favorite: The Fluffernutter Sandwich!!!

Kat said...

I do peanut butter and honey. Very yummy.

leezee52 said...

I love this post!
I love crunchy peanut butter and raspberry jam!!!

I was craving red velvet cake yesterday so I went to the store and bought a pkg of two slices....wow that was good...my hubby had the other slice... lol

Anonymous said...

Peanut Butter & Nutella with bananas for me...that's the best. The best! You are so hilarious and the comment you left on my site today made me laugh so hard I spit out my coffee! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are sooo pregnant!

Who on God's green earth has NEVER heard of peanut butter? Seriously!!! I mean it....seriously!!!

I like mine creamy...not crunchy. My favorite kind right now is Skippy Natural - Creamy.

I actually had a PBJ for lunch today...what a coincidence!!!

The way we bloggers link up lately....we're all gonna be on the same cycles pretty soon....except for you, Jennifer....because you're pregnant!

Jennifer said...

LOL Karla--I realize that was an extreme craving--but I swear I'm not pg! At least I don't think so? No, I'm not!

Crunchy + raspberry sounds delicious!

And Nutella! OMG!

Kelly--Believe me--it was unusual that I skipped dinner! Very, very rare.

Brenda said...

I get that way with grilled cheese sandwiches and snickers bars (not eaten together!)
I don't think that guy at 7-11 was American - every American knows what a PB&J is!

Sue Wilkey said...

Dude. You are SO pregnant.

CaraBee said...

Peanut Butter and Apple Butter. Yummmmm. Now I'm starving for a sandwich and no Apple Butter in the house. Plus it's 10 pm. Rats.

Jennifer said...

I don't mean to taunt you--but I have apple butter! And peanut butter! Sounds really good!

Heather said...

I actually prefer 1 slice of bread with tons of PB and a huge glass of milk. I truly could eat several of these at one sitting. I think I'm going to have to go get one now.
bye-bye! lol :)