Saturday, September 13, 2008

FuNkY Asian! Restaurant Adventure Saturday

This week we went to one of our very favorite restaurants--a really funky Asian place that has cuisines from Japan, Korea, China and Thailand. The restaurant itself is super cool--bright lime green walls and flat-screen t.v.s with Asian cartoons everywhere.
There is a whole wall of dichroic glass-lined shelves just covered with fruit.
This fruit is for these amazing drinks which is one of the main reasons we love this place! They are called fruit freezes with tapioca and you can choose from dozens of fruit combinations and also stuff like red beans and taro root to make your perfect drink.

See those black balls on the bottom? Those are the tapioca beads and they have a chewy consistency but not much flavor. In order to access them, the drinks are served with giant wide straws! The kids crack me up when they order these drinks because they get very adventurous with their combinations--for instance--Andy's drink in this pic was coconut with grass jelly--whatever that is! I'm partial to the pineapple/coconut combo--kind of like a pina colada.

Here's Gooser with his beautifully-colored freeze:

The menu at this place is intense--literally pages and pages long. Although we go here a lot, we have not even come close to tapping into some of the crazy stuff on the menu. We tend to play it safe with stuff we love like:

Japanese beef dumplings (a Pickle fave!):

Thai fish cakes (a Jennifer and Gooser fave!):


Sweet and sour mussels:
Which is an Andy fave:
I have to be very careful with Patrick:


at Asian restaurants, because he has a peanut allergy. So he usually sticks with rice and shrimp tempura:
Pickle loves shrimp too! That's the wrong end Pickle! (She's eating the tail.)
Every time we go here,we always say that we need to branch out with the menu and try some of the more unusual looking items. I love our standbys so much though--but we'll do it one days. Here's just a sample of some entrees (I took the pics from their window display).

Whole fish-- I see a LOT of people order this so it must be great!


And some kind of lobstery looking things:
Pickle says:
"Maybe next time, fun Asian place--I know we'll be back soon!"

Photobucket

14 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

We love it...Ronda and The Hubby!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

That food looks so good! Now I need to go cook breakfast. Much Love

Elfie33 said...

Sounds like a fun place..the shrimp look yummy..You've made me hungry..

Lori said...

Some of the best adventures are the tried-and-true.

CaraBee said...

I love Asian food. I don't think we have anywhere close to us that has such a fun and diverse menu. I think I say this every time, but I just think it's great that your kids are so open to different foods!

Anonymous said...

Very cool, but the tapioca beads freak me out when I suck one up, it just feels wrong. That shrimp looks to die for.

Kelly said...

I love this weekly feature...you're kids CONSTANTLY amaze me!!

This Mom said...

Looks like you guys had a fun family night. That and the food looks YUMMY.

amelia bedelia said...

that shrimp that pickle was eating looks great!!

Unknown said...

I'm feeling so hungry now !!!

Not sure about that fried fish though. I hate it when their eyes stare up at you like that. They make me feel so guilty!

We have a Chinese all you can eat seafood buffet, about a block from us. Great food, but it's had a sin on it's door for about a month now 'Closed For Kitchen Renovations'....

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

The whole fish skeeves me out a little! But it sounds like a blast.

Jennifer said...

I think I will try that whole fish the next time we go. It is kind of creepy (eyes and all) but I see SO many people ordering it--it must be good!!

Mrs. J said...

I really miss Asian food!!!

Jo-Jo said...

I don't know which impresses me more, the fact that your guys have the time and energy to go on these fun restaurant adventures, or that your kids will eat and try such wonderful things! Please tell me your secret!