Monday, September 8, 2008

Dia de los Muertos

I have been a huge fan of the Mexican ceremony Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) for a long time. I have a collection of the cool skulls and skeletons and beautiful little dioramas that depict this holiday displayed around my house.

In fact, I have always wanted to travel to Oaxaca, Mexico where they have an amazing celebration every year (the day after Halloween)--one of these days I will go!

Anyway, my friend told me about these sugar skulls that you can make and decorate for a Dia de los Muertos celebration.
Aren't they cool!?! I'm so excited to make them with the kids--I ordered a bunch of molds in different sizes and some of the other items like meringue powder and food coloring needed to make them. If you're interested, here's the site.
I think this could become a fun new tradition! Speaking of sort of macabre family traditions--I'm reminded of a fun one from my husband's family. Every year at Christmastime, they have a party and invite friends over to decorate gingerbread men cookies to honor celebrities who have died that year. Kind of like that "In Memoriam" tribute they do at the Oscars--but in gingerbread! I haven't done this one with the kids yet--I guess I forgot about it--but maybe we will this year?

I can't wait to do both of these projects with the kids! Of course, we'll document it on the blog when we do!
Photobucket

17 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

They are very beautiful...I bet it is a very cool celebration...albeit a little scary!

Lori said...

Oooh, pretty colors!

amelia bedelia said...

those are cool, but I would have mine half eaten before i finished decorating it.

Kori said...

These look awesome. Can't wait to see the ones ya'll are going to make.

Ruth said...

Love the skulls.

On the gingerbread memoriams ... do they eat them after they make them?

Jennifer said...

Yeah, they eat them! Is that bad??

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Those are cute! Never seen that before! Much Love to you!

Anonymous said...

Those are cool....can't wait to see what you guys make.

I'll wait until Z is older to try this....I cleaned up so many messes this weekend....I'm tired!

CaraBee said...

That is pretty neat, I've never heard of such a thing. Although I am familiar with the holiday and like you have longed to visit a real Mexican celebration. Have fun!

Shannon said...

When you "twittered" about buying "sugar skulls"... I was wondering what you meant! Very cool!

Brenda said...

My kids would look at me like "who are we decorating a gingerbread man to look like????"! Now, the skulls they would be all over!

Kori said...

It is a wonderful idea, and actually historically speaking a labor of love; thse skulls have a cool name, too, like calveras or something like that? I have a book about it at home, but for some reason the name escapes me. It sounds great.

Aunt Julie said...

I'm from Texas originally, and we used to make these when I was a kid. I've passed along the tradition to my kiddos. We enjoy this so much! Both girls will be in college this fall, so I'm gonna have to make them by myself--sounds like a Halloween-themed care package is in order!

leezee52 said...

I love that day too. My son got me hooked on it when he took spanish in school.

Lee :)

Anonymous said...

Very cool! And that dead celebrity gingerbread party is just hysterical, I mean seriously hilarious.

Kelly said...

Can't wait to see your projects!

Anonymous said...

It's going to be so fun to see what beautiful skulls you come up with! :)