Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Dirty Little Secret

I'm not sure why I'm telling/showing you this because it's SO embarrassing--but somehow I'm doing it anyway...

My bedding is out of a horror movie. No seriously--it's BAD.

Now, in my defense, it started out as beautiful bedding from the Pottery Barn and I loved it. But we've had it for years...and years and it's probably been washed about a million times. But I still loved it because all that washing made it super soft.

But recently and kind of suddenly it just started wearing out--like getting a little threadbare, so I started looking into buying new bedding. Point blank--shopping for bedding is NOT fun. I tried zillions of Internet searching, moved on to department stores, back to the Pottery Barn--nothing. Nothing I even remotely liked.

The search continued and the bedding deteriorated rapidly--to the point where it was literally in shreds. I didn't know what to do. On the rare occasion I saw something I actually liked, there was always a glitch--like they didn't have the right size, or it was discontinued, or dry clean only. Or--OR--hand wash and line dry only! Can you imagine? Where/how was I going to hand wash and line dry a king-sized duvet cover??

In a moment of desperation, I almost went through with that hand wash purchase--but then I had visions of an all-too-familiar scene: kid at my bedside in the middle of the night--"Mommy I feel like I'm going to throw up" and then blah all of the bed. Then I pictured myself hand washing the thing in the bathtub at 3 a.m. and I quickly dismissed that idea. I contemplated getting "interim" bedding until I found the perfect thing, but it's all so expensive!

Meanwhile, the whole top part of our duvet cover had ripped open with loopy strands that threatened to strangle us in the night. Don's pillowcase was in tatters and the sheet was even falling apart.

Proof:

The shredded sheet:

ohmygodi'msoembarrassed!

The remnants of Don's pillowcase:
The mangled duvet:
When I got up this morning, I couldn't take it anymore. I decided that nothing was going to stop me--I was not going to sleep on the bedding another night.

My first stop was Anthropologie--a store I love that seemed to have some cool funky bedding. Of course, nothing was easy there. The one duvet that I kind of liked was out of stock in my size and there were just no other options.

But then I noticed the way one of the display beds was done up--the duvet I liked (it was kind of plain) with a multi-colored quilt folded at the bottom of the bed and lots of funky multicolored pillows. I thought maybe if I got the quilt and pillow stuff there, I could go elsewhere for just a plain duvet.

So that's what I did! I bought the quilt and some pillow shams and headed off to Bed, Bath and Beyond with Pickle in search of some sheets and the duvet.

I think Dante made a mistake and left Bed, Bath and Beyond out as one of the circles of Hell in his Inferno--it's horrible in there!

The florescent lights and the commingling of the ten thousand candle scents and the extreme lack of employees! Not to mention that despite the fact that the word "Bed" is prominently showcased in their name--they have little to no bedding. Everything was either butt-ugly or so picked over there was nothing in my size (or both).

Somehow I chanced on a weird little clearance rack with a plain cream-colored duvet cover. Then I scrounged up a sheet and some pillowcases--and finally my bedding quest was over!

Way better, right?
Pickle thinks so!
Photobucket

18 comments:

SouthernDogwoods said...

Ahhhh! I hear the angels from Heaven singing in chorus! What beautiful bedding! I agree about BB&B - UGH! They are so cram-packed with "As Seen On TV" that you can not even find bedding, or dining room table accessories. I am a Pottery Barn girl so I understand why you hung on to the other one! Glad you will be sleeping in bedding bliss now!

Kristin said...

I need to go get some new sheets soon. My bedding gets washed most days due to spit up, pee or both. Thanks for the heads up on BB&B I will stay clear.

Erin said...

Beatiful!!!

Becky said...

I think it looks great!!!

Oh gosh! I hate shopping there too! You are right, there never are employees and it's so frustrating to find what you need in stock.

Good JOB!!! You pulled it off!

Ronda's Rants said...

Not bad at all...great job! I have a rescued Chocolate lab who sleeps with us...and her toe nails tears my sheets....I have gone through so many sheets...I don't have the heart to make her get down!

Allison said...

Ooooh, I like it! It reminds me of Morrocco or India with all those bright beautiful patterns. Way to go!!!!

I agree with you on BB&B...horrible. I try to avoid it like the plague, too!

PS I just had a bloggy makeover. I hope you'll stop by soon and tell me what you think!

The Townhouselady said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

I love it.

Rebecca Jo said...

Those colors are awesome!!!

Susie said...

Good for you to get that out and get those sheets out:-) They are very pretty!

noble pig said...

Jen I am laughing so hard about the line about Dante I even read it to my husband because it SO TRUE!

The whole thing cracks me up because the same thing has happened to me and is actually still happening. Our bedding was falling apart too and I told my husband, my gawd it's like we don't have two pennies to rub together that we are living with this ripped up pillowcases! I do buy all my bedding from THE COMPANY STORE online. In January they always have their sales and I buy then, which is what I'm waiting for. Now I just buy plain white but I always buy 600 thread count and it's not handwash etc. It's awesome and lasts and lasts. They also sell the supersize duvet covers if you have a big fluffy one.

Your bedding is beautiful though, love all the colors!

Jen said...

Oh I like it how funky and cool!

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I absolutely detest shopping for bedding. Nothing irritates me more than having to buy all that stuff. I can never ever find everything I like and the the stuff that comes in sets? No thanks.

I'm still looking. I probably will be until Imp hits high school. And yeah, BBB is the worst...except for my plates I just found there. But I don't ever get anything else there because they pretty much suck!

I love all the colours you've got going on. And Pickle looks pleased as punch.

Mimi said...

Perfect! It seems like it suits your personality.

CaraBee said...

I got my current bedding at Macy's. It was some crazy sale and it was 75% off, so I got a $200 comforter for $50. I felt like I won the lottery and I LOVE it.

Love your new stuff! The colors are so vibrant and fun!

maggie, dammit said...

Oh she is SO. CUTE!

(and happy belated birthday!)

Heather of the EO said...

I LOVE it! Love the design and the colors. Great choice :)

Candid Carrie said...

I love that I saw your cruddy sheets.

Maybe if you and Don wouldn't be so wild in bed your stuff would last longer.

Jennifer said...

LOL Carrie!