Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just Call Me Diane Arbus

I had a great birthday yesterday! Thanks for all the birthday wishes--they helped make it a good day.

One of my friends stopped by in the morning with iced coffee and bagels so that was a fun way to start the day, then I had lunch with my sister and opened some gifts from her. Oh--Pickle still seems not quite herself, but not bad--so if she still seems under the weather tomorrow I'll take her to the doctor.

So later when Don got home he gave me his gifts. One of his presents was a beautiful coffee table book of Diane Arbus' photographs. She has always been one of my favorite photographers. As I was looking through the book I commented that someday I would love to have a camera like the one she used.

Don played dumb and he was all "What kind of camera did she use?" And I said "A Rolleiflex."

Then the next gift I opened WAS a Rolleiflex!!
It's so beautiful and I'm so excited to use it! Imagine the shots of Pickle I can get with this!!

It took us a few tries, but we managed to get a roll of film loaded, so tomorrow I'm going to play around with the settings and see what I come up with. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to it.
I'll definitely be taking lots of pictures of the kids with this--but I also want to hit the streets Diane Arbus-style and really try to get some interesting stuff. I can't wait!

This was a great birthday!!
Photobucket

21 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I've never heard of or seen a camera like that. Have fun with it!

SouthernDogwoods said...

So cool! My mom has an antique (no longer working) one - it was my grandparents. I can not wait to see your photos!!!! Don - you did a great job!

Ronda's Rants said...

How cool....He is a great gift giver!
Have fun and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Ruth said...

Happy belated birthday!! What a cool camera ... does Don know you well or what?

Kristin said...

Happy birthday ( a day late and dollar short). What a lovely camera. Can't wait to see the art you can capture with that baby!

Jennifer said...

Wow, just as you said that you opened the camera! Very cool. What a sweetie hubby, eh? =)

Glad you had a good b-day!

Rebecca Jo said...

What a on-top-of-it husband getting that camera!!! Impressive!

And that thing works???? Cant wait to see the pictures that come from it!

Allison said...

How fun...can't wait to see what you shoot with it!

noble pig said...

That is stinkin' cool! Omg I can't wait to see what you get...oh but there is no digital uploading...ugh!

So happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jennifer, what a camera, used to have one years ago, got stolen in a house burglary and never replaced. Phenominal!

AV

Aleta said...

That looks like a cool camera. Never heard of it either. Tell us more about it as you use it!

SuZ said...

Ooohhh! I have two of those! I also have a Walzflex which is the knock off brand, works just as good.

I just love medium format!

Good luck!

Jen said...

how cool. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Susie said...

I am glad to hear that you had a great birthday:-)

CaraBee said...

I love old cameras! Glad you had such a good birthday!

Anne said...

Jenny...I blew it, sorry!! Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you had a great b-day. You're looking good, girl.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Hey, this is what I call thoughtful gifts. I can't wait to see the pics from this antique camera.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

Happy belated birthday! It sounds like it was a wonderful one.

Have a great time with the Rolli. I am too much of a chicken to start shooting with film again, but I'm very envious of those who have the patience for it. The photographs just seem richer.

Mimi said...

What a wonderful hubby you have!!

Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I love those cameras.
I can't wait to see the great pictures you take with it.

Happy Belated birthday as well!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, from one spring chicken to another!