Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me!

That's right--it's my birthday and I'm blatantly posting about it! I hope it's a good one--I have plans to have lunch with my sister which should be fun--but Pickle is showing signs of a cold and that always puts me in a worried mood. Hopefully it won't turn into anything.

I'm super excited about something though--over the weekend I entered one of my paintings in a local show. It's a juried show which means a panel of judges looks at all the work and choose who's right for the show.

I was doubtful when I got there to sign in because there was just a sea of paintings entered and I had no clue what kind of chance I had. Plus, I wasn't crazy about the piece I was submitting--it's alright but I have better--the problem is that it had to be framed and ready to hang and this was the only one that fit the bill.

So I dropped it off Saturday morning and got a call later that day telling me that it was accepted! I'm SO excited!

Also, turns out there were over 200 pieces submitted and they chose 45 to be in the show. That's not too shabby.

There will be an opening reception on Friday night and I'm looking forward to taking the kids to it. And the really extra-exciting thing is that they will be giving out awards and cash prizes plus offering some people solo shows!! I'm not holding my breath on that at all--but still!

This is the piece I entered--it's a watercolor called "Room Service":

I would say it looks better in person because it has zillions of layers and the colors kind of glow in a cool way.

So that's my big news (well that and my birthday!) Oh, and if you wondering how old I am--the answer is "old"!! That's all I'm sayin'.

I'll be sure to take lots of pics at the Friday opening!!


Photobucket

21 comments:

Ronda's Rants said...

I love this painting...I remember it from an earlier blog...Congrats!
Happy Birthday...may you have a wonderful day!

Erin said...

CONGRATS ON BOTH!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Yay! I remembering you blogging about this painting before and I fell in love with it then!
Happy Birthday! Have a fun one!

Allison said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a fantastic day!

Great painting and I look forward to hearing how the show goes.

Rebecca Jo said...

WOW... thats super cool about your painting... look how many you beat out just to get there! Have fun at the event... I'm sure it'll be full of adventure!

And have a FANTASTIC BIRTHDAY!!!! Enjoy your lunch & everything about the day!!! Mother's Day & Birthday so close - you should just declare the whole week YOURS!

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday friend!! Hope you have a great day!

So excited about your showing! Big congrats, Jen! =)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you !!!!

Here's to many, many more !! (lifts my coffe mug in salute.)

Love the painting .. it is very cool !!

Susie said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day:-) Love the painting!

Aleta said...

You posted this picture before and I remember absolutely LOVING it, so I'm not surprised that it made it. Proud of you and happy for you and wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

noble pig said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! But the news about the painting is absolutely fabulous. I am so excited for you and the kids are going to be so proud seeing your hanging at a show! I wish you the best of luck...I wish i could go!

Mimi said...

Happy birthday & I LOVE the painting. Congratulations on being accepted into the show!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday!! Enjoy, and lovely panting. So awesome about the show! :)

SuZ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Jen said...

thats awesome. Congrats! Oh and Happy Birthday!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Happy birthday and congrats on the painting. How cool it is that your kids will see your talents profiled in the show.

CaraBee said...

What a great early birthday present! That painting is amazing!

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a good day! (And that Pickle isn't sick.)

Shannon said...

First of all...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I hope you were able to make lunch with your sister!

And how cool is it your painting was chosen?! Good luck!

Ann Harrison said...

I think your watercolor is wonderful!

Happy Birthday Jennifer !!! :->

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Happy Birthday again. I love that painting! Good luck with the show.

Kelly said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! It sounds like you had a fabulous day!

Diane said...

i love it! thanks for showing it off!! and congrats on it being shown! but of course since you are very talented!