Thursday, July 23, 2009

Whatchoo Talkin' 'Bout?

Now that the Sears Tower of Chicago has be renamed the "Willis Tower" (note how I have inserted the sarcastic quotation marks?)there has been no shortage of Diff'rnt Strokes jokes. I have been in on it too---I just can't help myself! You can't change a landmark's name overnight and expect everyone to just accept it. It will always be the Sears Tower to me...

Anyway, along with the new name, they have installed these crazy-time "Sky Ledge" things where you can walk out into a glass-encased little room and see the view (103 stories up) up, down and all around.

The kids were begging to go, so I decided to buy "fast passes" online which allow you to bypass what would certainly be loooong lines and go straight to the top. The passes were pricey, but I figured long lines plus 2 year olds don't exactly add up--so I thought it would be worth it.

As we approached the building, we saw a crazy-long line that went all the way down the sidewalk and around the corner. I gloated about my fast passes to the kids and said things like "Look at those poor fools" and "Suckas!!"

Then we had what I like to call a Curb Your Enthusiasm moment--I marched up to an official-looking woman in a blazer, all the while shooting looks of pity at the people in line and asked "Where do the people with the Front of the Line Passes go?"

She glared at me and pointed around the corner "To the back of the line!"

Can't you just imagine Larry David's reaction to that?

Apparently, the front of the line passes kicked in once you were actually in the building...Oh well!

But I think they did help speed up the process and before long we were whizzing up to the top.

We headed out on the The Ledge to take in the amazing view.
This was Pickle's reaction to the whole business:
You likey my Nike?
Pickle wasn't crazy about the view out the window either:
But perked up after an expensive purchase at the gift shop:
We also had to purchase two packages of Gummi bears, a tin of Barack Obama mints and a giant pen. Just send me to the Poorhouse now...

Over $200 later--at least we can say we saw the view.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis Tower? Sorry--I couldn't resist!!

Please join Candid Carrie for her Phriday Phestivities!!

Photobucket

20 comments:

Becky said...

You are too funny with you Larry David comparision. I can just visualize it, LOL!

Very cool!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I think I'd have been crying like Pickle! That looks a little scary. But fun!

SouthernDogwoods said...

Love the pictures and your shoes are so cute!

Ronda's Rants said...

I am with Pickle...I would have been cryin' too!
We went through some crazy fast money at Disney too!

Kristin said...

Why didn't I hear about them changing the name? Guess that tells you how news savvy I am. That Skyview looks scary but what great pics.

Rebecca Jo said...

Yep.. .me too - I'd be right next to Pickle screaming LOUDER!!!

It looks like there is no edge there where the boys are laying - like they could just ROLL over & fall...

I'm dizzy now...

manda said...

Crikey. Just looking at the pictures mad me feel sick. I am a wuss.

Kori said...

Love it!

And I do likey your Nike's!

noble pig said...

Oh geez I would be crying like Pickle, I could never stand on that ledge. Seeing the boys out there made my stomach drop 100 stories. They are so brave! I also love comparing moments to how Larry David would react.

Jen said...

love those photos.

Shannon said...

Yikes! I'd have the same reaction as Pickle!

monica said...

I am with Pickle also. I diffently don't like heights so that would not be a place I would want to do. Yes I agree it takes time to change a name of a place. Stopping in from Carrie's FFFF! Happy Friday!

Susie said...

Wow! Very cool view!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome pictures! I think my reaction might have been the same as Pickles'.

And....it will always be the Sears Tower to me too!

Heather said...

I'm with Pickle - that would've had me bawling, too. I am NOT a fan of heights where I feel like I might fall. My palms are sweating just from looking at those pictures, LOL!

Allison said...

I wouldn't been crying like Pickle!

Love the boys pictures...too funny!

Audrey at Barking Mad said...

I'm with Pickle on the whole Willis Tower thing. Nope. Not gonna do it. And there's no way I could have gone out on that glass ledge. I got all worried and nauseous just looking at the pics of your boys.

Seriously, I'd have been standing next to Pickle bawling my head off the entire time.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I was hyperventilating just looking at the pictures! lol! What a cool experience though!

Mimi said...

I'd be with Pickle, crying in the corner!!

yulz said...

That's so scary, I'll probably won't look down for the first few minutes