Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Decorating...

When we move to the new house, none of our current living room furniture is going to work in the new living room, so I've been consumed lately with trying to come up with how it should look and what pieces to choose.

I'm trying to start with a rug, because I figure I can build all the colors of the room, etc. around that--but it has NOT been easy to find one! We know we want a Persian rug and it has to be large because it's a large room, so I've been doing a lot looking both online and in stores. Point blank (and I'm not kidding) every time I see a rug I like and that's the right size and inquire about the price--it's over $100,000 (sometimes WAY over--a couple rugs I asked about were $250,000!!)! If you put me in a room full of rugs, I will undoubtedly make a beeline for the highest priced one. So obviously this is getting difficult!

To make things more complicated, I have it in my head that I want the rug to have a lot of orange in it because I have this blue color in mind for the walls and I think the orange would be a great compliment to the blue. Of course--it might look totally awful! But it looks good in my head.

So the closest rug I have found so far that is even remotely in our price range is this one:
It's kind of wild, but I like that it's an antique and has that bombed-out orangey-red that I've been searching for, plus lots of nice blues, green, pink etc. So that rug is a maybe.

Then for the furniture, I have this idea of mixing old and new--so I found this funky vintage sofa in its original kooky green velvet:
Me likey!!

And then I need a new sofa that I want to upholster in a silvery velvet. So I found this one that I really like the look of, but I sat on it and it's not super comfortable--not uncomfortable or anything, just not really cushy. But it's so pretty!
And there was another sofa there that I don't like the look of quite as much, but it was really comfortable.
And finally--and this is sort of out there--I have this notion of a mirrored coffee table. I think it would be a nice change from the typical wood and I like the idea of the table reflecting all the colors of the room. I found this one that I really like:
Oh and here's the blue I have in mind:
So, I don't know, just throwing around some ideas! Any decorating whizzes out there? Let me know what you think.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE all the ideas!!!
I love rugs and old couches, as a matter of fact I'm kind of a couch whore... I have five of them and search Craigslist daily for vintage couches.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

I go with comfort over cuteness. (And have an ugly couch to prove it!) As for the rug... you're on your own with that one! I could never pick just one! =)

Rebecca Jo said...

I dont have any great decorating genes in me...

but I do have to say - that is a nice mirrored table... usually they look very 70's - but that one is super chic!

Jen said...

I can't decorate to save my life. My mom helped me but your ideas seem great. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

The Townhouselady said...

Mmmm...love what you've choosen so far.

I say don't buy anything or make any final decisions until you've lived there a good few months. I made that mistake when we got this house.

I needed to pace myself a bit more.

manda said...

You have AWESOME taste! I think that you should be in charge of redecorating my place when I have the bucks. Love it all!!!

Susie said...

I am not a decorating whiz but your ideas sound great!!

noble pig said...

I love that green couch and table too. I am also plauged with my furniture not fitting into this old house we moved into. However, I can't justify getting new stuff since it's only a rental. I have to wait to get new stuff to fit the house we build. I did send my giant couch off to be reupholstered. I chose microsuede for the material and the color Pecan.

CaraBee said...

I love that stuff! I would have to see it in place to really feel it though. I have no vision for decorating. As my sadly decorated house can attest.

Cyndy Bush said...

All I can say is I love your taste and I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Well... I am definitely not a decorating whiz, and your taste blows my mind. To be honest, I can't quite imagine anything of that in my own house, but I am anxiously awaiting the pictures to see how it will look in yours :)

Jen said...

I love that blue color. That is really close to what I painted my bathroom.

I am not the best one to ask for decorating advice. My house is so boring!

Jessica said...

Great stuff! I love the green couch! :)

mrsmouthy said...

Can't wait to see pictures once your decorating is done!