Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sad Stuff

We are sad at the Fun House tonight--we got word this morning that my father-in-law has passed away.

Although the news is not surprising--we new the end was near--it doesn't make it any easier. The weirdness of knowing that someone is no longer around is very hard to wrap your mind around. Especially for Don, obviously.

The good news is that he had a terrific life, a "charmed" life as many would say. He had a very rewarding career as a successful college professor and he loved his job. Because he had the summers off, he would take his family on road trip adventures all all over the country and document their trips meticulously in scrapbooks. Once he retired, he pursued all kinds of artistic endeavors like sculpting and woodworking--and he was really good!

He was a guy who was always up for anything and always a lot of fun. I remember a few years ago when Don's parents were visiting, we were watching Sex and the City (because I would never miss it!) and Don's dad totally loved the show. He thought it was the best show he had ever seen and had me write down all the details on it so he could keep watching it when they got home! This is from a guy who was well into his eighties!

A few years ago, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease (a disease I HATE) and though he was pretty good for a long time, deteriorated in the past year or so.

We are having a memorial service in the next couple of weeks when we are in California. Don's mom and sister have been planning it and it sounds like it will be really nice--with many of his friends, colleagues and family speaking.

Here are a couple of pictures from the last time they visited.

Don's dad with Pickle (I LOVE this pic!):And Don's mom and dad with Gooser:
So anyway, we are sad.
Photobucket

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear, thoughts to Don and you all. Words don't make it better, unfortunately.

AV

Rebecca Jo said...

what a sweet picture of him with Pickle when she was SOOO small!!!

Sorry to hear of the loss... when you are "expecting" it - it doesnt soften the blow...

HUGS to you all!

Kori said...

Thinking of you all and your family.

Anonymous said...

Please tell Don that your blog readers send their sympathy.

*Hugs to your family*

SouthernDogwoods said...

Oh, Jennifer - so sorry to hear of your father-in-law's passing. Alzheimers is a horrible disease, I agree. Your family are in my thoughts & prayers!

Ronda's Rants said...

I am so sorry for your loss...My Hubby has lost both his parents and it's difficult even when you expect it! You will be in our thoughts sand prayers!

Sandi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Jen. Big Hugs!

Becky said...

He looks like SUCH a neat guy! I am so sorry for you all:(

Miss Blondie said...

I'm sorry for your loss! Thinking of you and your family!

Susie said...

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were very blessed to have him for the time you did. I hope you find comfort in the memories of that blessing.

Erin said...

Thinking of you and your family. Sorry for your loss Jen.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Big hugs to you and your family...I am so sorry to hear that...Those photos really capture what a kind soul he must have been:) Will be thinking of you all.

Allison said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I, too, have seen first hand what Alzheimer's can do. So, I agree, I HATE it! Just know that I am keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. {hugs}

Jo-Jo said...

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you right now in this difficult time. It is always so sad to see someone pass no matter how long you have had to prepare. He sounds like a man that anyone would have loved to call friend!

Kristin said...

So sorry for your loss. HUGS.

Kori said...

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

Teri said...

So very, very sorry for your loss. Good thoughts and blessings being sent your way right now.

Tonya said...

I am so sorry for your loss!

Those pictures are adorable! What a nice reminder of some of the time the kids shared with him!

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

Mimi said...

I wish there was something more helpful than "I'm Sorry", but I am & I'll be praying for peace for Don & all of you.

Ellie... said...

My condolences. Sending positive vibes and thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

What sweet sweet photographs. In light of your loss it's so nice that you shared those with us. And even though the end was in sight, from what you said, it doesn't make the final blow any easier to take. It sounds like he was an absolutely amazing man.

I'll wrap you all in my thoughts and prayers as you mourn a very special man.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. My prayers will be with you, Don, and the whole family (is Don's mom still living?). He looks and sounds like an awesome guy! Sorry...

Anonymous said...

Jen and Don I am so, sorry. Losing a parent is a very strange feeling. One you can't describe but feels very different from other losses. My father passed away several years ago from complications of Alzheimer's as well. It's very sad. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care. Love the pictures, you can see the love for their grandchildren in their eyes.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry for your loss... even "expected", it's still sad news.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

CaraBee said...

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and it is just the most horrible, ugly disease. Especially with someone so smart and talented, as it sounds like your FIL was. Hugs.

Jen said...

I am so sorry to here about your loss.

Jennifer said...

Big, hugs hugs to your family Jen. I'm so sorry.

Jeauxdi said...

You and your family are in my thoughts...Sorry for the loss.
He looked like he was a very special kind man.
~hugs~

Marilyn said...

I'm so sorry.
Alzheimers may have taken his memories but your still blessed with yours.

~hug~

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father in law. Those are great pictures and it sounds like you have many wonderful memories of him. May time hurry and heal your hearts!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry. He looks like a fun guy, so cute, and I love the pic of him and Pickle!
Best wishes to your family.
xoxo

Heather said...

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry, I just saw this.

My sincere condolences to you and your family. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Ashley said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss, Jennifer. At least you have many, many happy memories with him.

Jen said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Alzheimer's is a disease we hate, too. Charlie's mom has it & is detereorating very quickly. She is so young (will be 60 tomorrow) & it's just breaking our hearts to watch her go through this. It is a disease that effects everyone in the entire family. I'll definitely have you & your loved ones in my thoughts & prayers!