Monday, February 2, 2009

Dutch Baby!

Patrick got a kids' cookbook for Christmas (he loves to cook) and we were looking through it the other night to come up with some recipes we could make together. One that caught my eye (plus looks pretty easy) was a "Dutch Baby" pancake. I have seen these in pancake restaurants but have never tried to make one at home--so we gave it a whirl and it was so fun and delicious!

It was so fun and delicious, in fact, that we ended up making it Saturday and Sunday mornings--a good thing too because we've been so busy packing and cleaning that once we started we didn't even stop for lunch!

The fun thing about this pancake is that it puffs way up in the oven--that part was extra exciting for the kids. Here's a pic of the puff-up (though it had deflated somewhat by the time I took the pic).
Here's another view:
And these are the sauteed apples we put on top:
The finished product--you slice it like a pie and top with the apples, maple syrup and a little powdered sugar.
And of course there was bacon! Here's the recipe--I'll write it out as I found it for four servings, but I actually tripled the recipe and just watched it in the oven since I was guessing on baking time. My giant one stayed in for about 30 minutes.

Dutch Baby Pancake with Sauteed Apples

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teas. oil

1/2 cup flour
2 Tabls. sugar
1/4 teas. salt
1/4 teas. cinnamon

3-4 apples
butter
a little sugar
a little cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425.

Whisk together eggs, milk and oil.

Add in flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir well--some lumps are ok.

Pour into well-oiled round baking pan (I used an oven-proof skillet) and bake until puffed up and evenly browned. About 10-15 minutes.

While it's baking, peel and slice the apples and saute in a skillet with butter, a little sugar and a little cinnamon.

Try this--it was so good!!
Photobucket

21 comments:

Susie said...

Wow! That looks soooooooo good:-)

SouthernDogwoods said...

I just asked the girls and they want one this morning! Thanks for sharing! (I have to omit cinnamon though - I am allergic!!!)

Anonymous said...

My Grandson and Grand daughter and I will try this...they love to make pancakes, cakes, cupcakes, brownies and cookies!

Jessica said...

Yum! That looks really great! :)

Kristin said...

Yum. Totally making that this week.

Allison said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

CaraBee said...

That looks completely awesome! I will definitely be making one of those soon!

Jen said...

Oh how yummy. I want to totally try this.

Rebecca Jo said...

That looks so yummy!!! And just knew bacon had to be on the menu too! :-)

Becky said...

How interesting!!! I have a chef myself (Jake)....maybe he will have to try this!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Look yummy to me! I've always wanted to try to make these. Maybe I'll give it a wirl.

Anonymous said...

I am confused... I can't find the bacon in the recipe! Maybe it's old age.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That is so great and the kids love to cook! It is wonderful to teach them how to read recipes and know when things are done. Beautiful!

Shannon said...

Of course there was bacon!

And this does look YUMMY.

Brenda said...

What kind of breakfast would it be without bacon??!!

Can't wait to make that yummy looking puffy pancake!

Jenni said...

Oh. YUMMMMMMMM!

mrsmouthy said...

Mmmmm, I love Dutch babies! The only problem is no matter how much Dutch baby I eat, I'm always starving an hour later. Did that happen to you?

Sugar Boogers & Tantrums said...

That looks really yummy!!

Jen said...

That looks delicious!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

OMGosh, that looks good!

Anonymous said...

I used to make these long ago for my ex and we loved these. I had forgotten all about them and am so happy you posted it!
Thanks!