Remember awhile back when I wrote about the gum policies in one of Teddy's classes? Well he got busted today for gum chewing and his punishment is writing the word "gum" on every square on one side of a piece of graph paper.
When I wrote about the gum situation before, I was just citing Teddy's interpretation of the policy--but today I saw the "official" gum chewing violation punishment sheet--and it's even worse than I thought!
The first time they are caught chewing gum--they have to spit it into the "gum jar" which is kept in the classroom. The second time--they have to choose two consequences from the list below. The third time--they pick two and the teacher picks one. The fourth time there is a meeting with parents and the principal.
In addition to the ones I listed in the other post, there's:
1. Scrape 30 grams of gum from district property after school under teacher supervision.
2. After school, chew 5 pieces of gum for 20 minutes while watching yourself in the mirror (I choose the gum!)
3. Serve a formal, 45 minute after school detention.
4. List 30 reasons NOT to chew gum in class using a complete sentence for each. Number the reasons.
5. Write "I will not chew gum in the classroom" legibly 100 times on lined paper. Number the sentences.
6. Write by hand a 5-paragraph essay (minimum 200 words) on why gum should not be chewed in class.
7. Write by hand a research paper (minimum 400 words plus minimum 2 bibliography forms) on a topic related to gum. Choose one or propose your own (must be approved): How gum is made, ingredients of gum and their sources, history of gum, connection of gum to TMJ, disposal and environmental impact of gum, or safety issues related to gum.
One of the punishments that I had mentioned before--"squishing your hand in the gum jar" had more to it then I thought--the full punishment is "Squish your hand around in the gum jar for 10 minutes right before lunch." (!!!)
Clearly, this teacher HATES gum!
Teddy better watch his back--if he gets caught again, I think there will be some gum squishing in his future!