Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Getaway: The Good, The Bad and The Scary!!

First off, I'm in a semi-rage because I wrote a looong post a couple of nights ago and uploaded a LOT of pictures--and the whole thing deleted--just like that! No back-up, nothin'. So I'm disgruntled, but I will regroup now and carrry on!

So what I was going on (and on) about was that the work on our new house is finally FINALLY done!! Well, mostly...we still have to do a little floor refinishing so we will have to evacuate in a couple of weeks for a few days--but after all that's gone on here, that doesn't seem too bad.

So now that the house is under control, we managed to go off for a little weekend getaway--well technically we were going out of town for a funeral because Don's aunt fell out a window (!?!) (although the details are sketchy and shrouded in mystery) but then there was confusion with the date of the funeral, so actually we missed it entirely. So in a nutshell--we went out of town for a non-funeral and to investigate the scene of the crime so to speak where the unfortunate window accident occured.

Are you confused yet? I am. Now you can see why I'm so mad my other post was deleted--I swear it made more sense the first time I wrote it!

So we drove to the farm town where Don's mom grew up (Trivia: Don's mom rode in a cart pulled by a pony to school every day.) (More trivia: The pony's name was Don! Is it weird he's named after a horse?).

Anyway, we went to this town which is very quaint and was extra-nice because of the fall folliage--also making for a great backdrop for photos of the kids!

Our first stop was the farm where Don's mom grew up (and also the scene of the window accident). There were so many beautiful spots for pics!

I made the kids lay down in the leaves for a photo op--though they were not too keen on doing it!
They look happy--but they were complaining.
Andy and Pickle were the only ones that enjoyed it!
Here are some of the kids in front of a shed:
The farm is surrounded by corn fields as far as the eye can see--so we ended up with lots of corn pics.
Pickle was really into the corn! It's grain corn and very beautiful:
All the kids posing with their corn:
Here's Pickle with some kind of grain. Hay? I'm not too good with the farm terms...
And Pickle checking out the well water (I love this pic):
And yet another one of Pickle hanging on a windmill:
The smokehouse:
This place was infested with lady bugs! I call this pic Potrait of suitcase and Lady Bugs:
Oops--another one of Pickle ringing the dinner bell:
After that, we headed down the road to the family cemetery. There were lots of cool picture opportunities there too.


Here's the cemetery with the cornfields in the background:
I liked the way the moss looked on this gravestone:
Poor Bony Bly! Struck down by one of those newfangled automobiles!
Gooser amongst the graves:
This Way Up:
Angel grave:
Miss Pickle:
After the cemetery, we did a little more sightseeing around town. Here are the kids posing by a river:
And by some beautiful trees:
I LOVE this pic of Pickle!!

Here are the kids with a cool statue:

And now for the scary part of the trip...

We went out for a nice dinner that evening and Pickle ate the usual kid fare--grilled cheese, etc.--but she had a bite of Teddy's raspberry cheesecake and things went rapidly downhill after that.

Right after eating it she said she felt like she was going to throw up--and as soon as we got to the hotel room, she did. All over everything...

But as I was changing her pajamas I noticed that she had a bumpy rash on her stomach and I realized she was having an allergic reaction.

Patrick has a peaunut allergy (nightmare!) so I always carry Benadryl in my purse and I gave her one right away. Then she had a bath and seemed to be fine, so I put her to bed.

About a half hour later, she started coughing. At first I thought Oh no--I hope she's not getting sick. Then, as the coughing continued, I started to worry that maybe she had aspirated the vomit when she got sick and it was messing up her lungs or something.

So I got her out of the crib and realized that not only was she coughing non-stop, she was wheezing and it sounded BAD.

She was kind of scratching at herself so I lifted up her pajama top and saw that she was COVERED in a horrible rash.

By now it was about 11:00 at night, but Don and I had no choice--we had to drive her to the nearest Emergency Room. Which was unfortunately not very close.

I decided to give her one more Benadryl before we left--and I'm so glad I did--because I think it made a huge difference in her breathing. Then we had to drive on these very dark and winding roads--not really knowing where we were going. And did I mention it was raining?

But we made it in one piece and they were able to fix her right up with some steroids and antihistimines.

This is what the backs of her legs looked like:

Basically, her entire body was bright red and covered with bumps. It was SO scary!

Poor Pickle!

But she's fine now--though I have to get to the bottom of what she's allergic to. I called the restaurant, thinking there must have been nuts in that cheesecake, but they say no...I'm having her allergy tested soon.

The next day we were all exausted from our night of terror, so we didn't hang around long--just for breakfast and a few more pics.

Here are some of Teddy looking like a little model!

Gooser and Patrick:

And, finally, the kids posing on some rocks:

OMG--can you believe how long this post is? Can you believe I had to write it TWICE?? Sorry if it's incoherent--it's late, but I'm determined to post it tonight.

11 comments:

Cyndy Bush said...

Wow! I can't believe you had to post all of that twice! Very weird about the mysterious dying aunt. I love the first cemetery picture! Poor Pickle, I'm glad she's ok and I hope you figure out what she's allergic too.
All the pictures are gorgeous!

Anne said...

Hi Jenny!

OMG OMG about Astrid's allergic reaction. I can't believe the rash. How scary!! Could she be allergic to rasberries?

I was about to send you an e-mail to see how you were doing, because your blog has been on hold for awhile. For the past week I've been clicking on it with my eyes half-closed in case you have your Halloween eyeballs and arms and stuff on there.

Take care! And write some time!!

Susie said...

Those are GREAT fall pictures. I am glad that your daughter is ok:-)

Becky said...

How terrifying with Pickle! That would be so scary to be out of town and for her to have that reaction! Do you think it was raspberries??

That picture of the gravestones and the trees (the 1st one) is AMAZING. LOVE it!

Is is weird that you had your kids lay down under the spot where the aunt died?? Wasn't that where it happened?? O. M. G. !!!!

Your pictures are great! I am so jealous of the photo opportunities you had there! It looks fantastic!

Jennifer said...

Becky--They were just laying down in some random leaves--not the spot where she fell out the window! That WOULD have been weird--even for me!! :-)

Rebecca Jo said...

Poor pickle... she looks so pitiful in the hospital! That HAD to be scary!!!

Love all pics of the kiddos together!

What a cool cemetery!

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Beautiful photos, as always.

I just posted about our ladybug invasion but after seeing what you came across on your travels I think I will keep my fat gob, SHUT!

I hope Pickle's reaction was a one time thing and not something else.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

just now catching up... I have a sick boy in the house, so Hallowe'en plans cancelled.

So glad Pickle is ok. I, too, have been into the ER this year with same reaction to multiple yellowjacket stings, so I know the routine.

Great story, though, and love all the pictures of the kids, especially that photo of the kids by the river. Sorry to hear about your aunt... It was nice that you guys got to go pay your respects.

noble pig said...

OMG, the window, the amazing pics and Pickle, that is a terrifying story, so glad she's okay! Wow!

Mimi said...

Well I'm glad you had a nice advenure until Pickle got allergies!

I love taking pics of old cemetaries.

fun weekend getaways said...

That trip was fun except about Pickle having allergies and the death thing. The red spots are big. Your pictures are good also. I should say you really enjoyed it despite of what happened.

-liz