Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cherries Cost How Much??

I decided to make this incredible-looking recipe for Mixed Berry and Cherry Clafoutis from Cathy of Noble Pig. Cherry season is so short and I really wanted to make the most of it, so I grabbed two bags of cherries at the store thinking I would use one for the recipe and one just to eat.

When I was at the check-out, the lady that was ringing me up said "Um, I just want to let you know that your cherries cost $26.18."

"Wow! Really?" I asked--that did seem like a lot for cherries!

"You still want them?" she said, kind of already moving them over to the side. I was thinking this really must be a lot of money for cherries if the lady is encouraging me not to buy them.

"No, I still want them." I decided.

She continued to ring them up but with a look on her face that said "this woman is crazy for spending that much on cherries but it's none of my business." Then the bagging guy chimed in with "They better be good, right!?"

Well, they were good and the dessert was fantastic! The only thing I did differently was I used regular old sugar instead of superfine (forgot to buy that) and I didn't use raspberries (I was broke after buying all those cherries!). Actually, I had planned on using strawberries instead but I was too lazy to slice them up when I was making it--so it was just cherries and blueberries.

So, anyway, they were totally delicious--very airy and light and just the right amount of sweetness. I was also happy to use my heart-shaped ramekins which had been gathering dust for years. Here they are:
Cathy's are much prettier! They sure were good though and worth every penny!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I they are beautiful. It's a rustic dish and I think your's look more rustic than mine! Those dishes are to die for to. Glad you like them!