Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Time!

I'm excited about the Oscars tonight!! Who else is going to be watching? I'm a little bummed because Don is going to be out of town and we always watch them together--I guess I'll watch with the kids, though I don't know how into them they'll be?

Anyway, I want to hear everyone's Oscar picks. Have you seen all or some of the movies? Which was your favorite?

I'm going to write out the main categories for your convenience--please let me know who you are choosing and why.

Best Actor

Richard Jenkins (The Visitor)
Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon)
Sean Penn (Milk)
Brad Pitt (Benjamin Button)
**Mickey Rourke (Wrestler)

**Mickey Rourke is my pick here. I LOVED the Wrestler--it was my favorite movie of the year and I wish it had been nominated--it certainly deserved to be! Anyway--I have everything crossed that Rourke will win, though I'm a little worried about Sean Penn.

Best Actress

Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married)
Angelina Jolie (Changeling)
Melissa Leo (Frozen River)
**Meryl Streep (Doubt)
Kate Winslet (The Reader)

**I'm going with Streep on this one. I know that Winslet is the favorite here but I was turned off by her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes--I don't think anyone wants a repeat of that!

Supporting Actor

Josh Brolin (Milk)
Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt)
**Heath Ledger (Dark Knight)
Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road)

**I'm following the crowd and going with Heath Ledger on this one--he really was amazing as the Joker! But I would also sort of like RDJ to get it--he was SO good in Tropic Thunder!

Supporting Actress

Amy Adams (Doubt)
**Penelope Cruz (Vicky Christina Barcelona)
Viola Davis (Doubt)
Taraj P. Henson (Benjamin Button)
Marisa Tomei (Wrestler)

I keep going back between Penelope Cruz and Marissa Tomei--in the end, I'm going with Cruz because Tomei already has one--but I'd be totally happy with her winning it again!

Best Picture

Benjamin Button (Haven't seen it yet--seems very long!)
Frost/Nixon (well-acted snoozefest--I actually dozed off).
Milk (went to see this last night but ended up seeing He's Just Not That Into You instead...).
The Reader (I HATED this book so I refuse to see the movie).
**Slumdog Millionaire (Didn't think it was "all that").

**I'm following the crowd and going with Slumdog, though I really didn't think it was that great--I think I'm the only person on the planet that feels that way though. I really wish Wrestler was nominated...

Alright, those are the main ones--best director will be the Slumdog guy.

I think I'll be Twittering during the Oscars so if anyone wants to join in--that would be fun!!


Photobucket

10 comments:

mommytoalot said...

I'm disapointed that Clint Eastwood got overlooked..
I loved Gran Torino...
..
not sure if i'll watch it..sick kids here ..

Glenda, saved by grace said...

I'm just not that into movies anymore...
sounds like a fun night for you tho!
I hope YOUR picks win!

Heather of the EO said...

I'm so bummed, haven't seen ANY of the movies. But I'll still watch. And check back to see how many you got right :)

Jenni said...

I haven't really seen any of the movies...but I will be watching and twittering!

Anonymous said...

Can you believe I have not seen the movies...but I still watch!

CaraBee said...

I agree with you on all of these. I like Heath in Batman, but if he hadn't died would we even be considering him for BSA? I doubt it. I would love to see RDJ win. He was great in that movie, but they rarely give Oscars to comedy performances. Too bad, because I truly believe comedy is way harder than drama. I'm wondering about Slumdog for best picture. I'll bet we have an upset there.

Ronda's Rants said...

I have not seen all the movies...a first for me but haven't had the time!
I did see the Visitor and I loved this film...so while I know he won't win I do have to say Richard Jenkins was so very good!
I haven't seen the wrestler but I do agree there has been a lot of buzz over Mickey Rourke...I think Doubt may win some...I am surprised by all the nominations for Benjamin Button ...while I haven't seen it...I haven't heard a lot of good reviews.
I will watch and I am very excited...I haven't seen
The Reader and won't but I do think Kate Winslet is a wonderful actress.

Alpacamountain said...

I haven't seen anything except Heath...how did I do that?

Erin said...

I have seen zero of these movies.
I just stated following you on twitter! Stinkerbell412 here! : )

Susie said...

I didn't see any of the movies and I am not watching the Oscars but I like Brad Pitt and Kate Winslet for their categories. I just love their body of work.